Send Materials or Data

Get Started


1. Collect supporting documentation pertaining to your request. The online request form requires all of the following documentation to send human data or materials (i.e., blood, stem cells, human tissues, induced pluripotent stem cells).

✓   Institutional Review Board (IRB) protocol ID

✓   Stem Cell Research Oversight (SCRO) protocol ID

✓   Animal Care and Use Committee (ACUC) approval

✓   Know whether there is protected health information, whether coded or de-identified, etc.

✓   Know whether the materials and/or data are subject to export control under International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) or Export Administration Regulations (EAR)

✓   Any pre-existing agreements associated with the materials and/or data (e.g., if materials were derived from materials provided to UC Berkeley by another entity, upload the MTA from the original materials)

2. Complete the online MTA or DUA request form

3. OTL reviews the request and then negotiates and signs the contract



Further transfer will depend on the terms of the provider’s MTA or DUA. Some providers include a “no further distribution” clause, which means you cannot further transfer the materials without their permission. OTL will determine whether further transfer is possible.
It is very likely that we will need to execute MTAs with the new institution. The process could be time consuming, so please reach out to OTL as soon as you can at
That depends on the type of data or materials. IPIRA consults with the following offices regarding MTAs and DUAs.
  • Office for the Protection of Human Subjects (OPHS) reviews any research that uses human samples or involves human subjects
  • Environmental Health and Safety (EH&S) reviews all materials coming into UC Berkeley for consistency with the receiving lab’s biological use authorization (BUA)
  • Stem Cell Research Oversight Committee (SCRO) reviews compliance with policies regarding the use of stem cells in research
  • Research IT reviews data security processes and requirements
Please check with the Office of Environment, Health & Safety. EH&S reviews shipping plans to ensure hazardous and other regulated materials meet the requirements of the U.S. Department of Transportation and can answer your questions.
Email IPIRA Office of Technology Licensing with your questions at Your request will be assigned to an analyst with whom you can communicate directly.

For more information, contact us.

Join the IPIRA Mailing List




Accessibility | Nondiscrimination | Privacy