- About Us
- Available Technologies
- For UC Employees
- For Industry
- For IP Law Firms
- Success Stories
Material Transfer Agreements
A Material Transfer Agreement (MTA) governs the terms and conditions under which a Provider (a non-profit University, Research Institute or agency, or a for-profit entity such as a foreign or domestic pharmaceutical company) will make scientific or data materials available to an outside party.
A Material Transfer Agreement will contain definitions such as “materials” or “unmodified derivatives”, conditions for review of data and publications, and indemnification and warranty language.
PLEASE DO NOT SIGN ANY INCOMING MATERIAL TRANSFER AGREEMENT OR DATA USE AGREEMENT YOURSELF. THE INDUSTRY ALLIANCES OFFICE (IAO) IS THE ONLY AUTHORISED SIGNATORY FOR UC BERKELEY TO SIGN SUCH AGREEMENTS.
To get started, please follow these steps:
- Register (only if this is your first time receiving materials) with the Industry Alliance Office by completing the registration form here.
- The Principal Investigators and their Administrative Assistant must sign a completed MTA Registration Form and return it to the IAO.
- Afterwards, either the PI or the registered Assistant can submit an MTA Request Form electronically without it having to be signed.
- Fully complete the MTA Request Form and email it to email@example.com copying your Principal Investigator if applicable.
- The MTA Request Form provides a list of materials being requested and a project description.
- Provide an editable MS Word version of the Provider's Material Transfer Agreement to firstname.lastname@example.org along with the completed MTA Request Form. It would greatly faciliate the MTA review process if IAO receives an editable Word version of the MTA along with the completed MTA Request Form.
For a full explanation on how to complete the Registration and MTA Request Forms, please visit our processes page.
If you need to send materials to another researcher please read about outgoing MTAs.
For further questions, please email email@example.com.